Monday, March 26, 2007

Which Is The Greater Sin?

Which is the greater sin, gambling or stealing? I don't feel theologically qualified to answer that question. I do however have an opinion on which is worse. To me stealing is worse. After all, gambling is voluntary. Stealing takes from people via stealth or threat of violence.

I have heard some people say that there are no such things as greater sins or lesser sins. Sins are sins. Maybe so, but I have also heard that some churches teach that masturbation is a sin. I can tell you for a fact that if I am given the option of someone playing with himself or having him steal from me, I would choose the former, although I would prefer to not have to witness the act myself. It may be just as great a sin, but the effects are not as profound for me.

Of course this all leads me to ask the question how can some people support taxation and denounce legalized gambling. After all, taxation is theft. It is the taking, by force of money that would not otherwise be given. Some would say, well it is necessary for the greater good. Of course I can make the same claim for legalized gambling. States that allow it have more money to use for education just like states that allow higher taxes.

From my point of view, if you oppose legalized gambling on the grounds that it is a sin, yet you support taxation because it is for the greater good, you are just splitting hairs.

No comments: