Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Question Authority

I got an email this morning from a friend entitled, "What Kind Of Man Would Do Such A Thing." It describes an incident told in a story by "Sergeant Major of the Army Jack Tilley." You can read the story from the message at snopes.com .

Kind of uplifting, especially if you are a George Bush fan, unfortuantely it is an embelishment of what really happened. Of course readers of this blog, all 4 of you, know that I don't particularly approve of Mr. Bush, but even if I did, I always question this sort of story. The first thing I do when I read something like this is to check snopes.com. It's not because I don't like Mr. Bush. It is because he is in a position of authority and I know that people with authority must be watched, questioned and held accountable. That is true for all people with authority. When Lord Acton said, "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely", he hit the nail on the head. I don't care who you are talking about, whether it is the president of a county, the governor of a state, the probate judge or commissioner of a county, the mayor of a town or the president of your local little league association, you need to watch them. If they do something that does not seem right, it probably isn't.

Some of my friends call me a cynic. They say I don't believe in anything. Well, they are wrong, I do believe that mankind in general is good. I believe that the average joe walking down the street is a good person, but give him a little authority and the worst that is in him will pop to the surface. For my friends who love to quote the bible, remember the bible says that God created man in his own image. "In his own image"... all that means is that mankind is created to look like God. If you take a turd and shape it to look like a fudge brownie, it is still a turd. Maybe I am a cynic?

No comments: