Sunday, January 14, 2007

Political Correctness

This morning I was reading an article by Bill Bonner of "The Daily Reckoning" and he mentioned something about political correctness. It got me to thinking. I've always had a problem with political correctness, in fact I am such a redneck that basic etiquette is a severe challenge to me. Something in what Mr. Bonner said caused me to realize my biggest problem with PC. It has to do with form over substance. About caring how something looks as opposed to what is actually being accomplished. I was reminded of a quote I once heard someone attribute to Albert Einstein, "Ours is a time that is characterized by a perfection of means and a confusion of ends."

We really don't care where we are going or what we accomplish so long as we look good and don't step on any toes doing it. I am afraid that if we continue to worry more about how things look instead of actually seeking positive results, we may wake up one day and not like what our efforts have wrought.

No comments: