Thursday, March 23, 2006

Deer Sausage

I have several friends that deer hunt. Occasionally they offer me some venison. I always take it because I like deer meat. Last year one of my friends gave me several packages of ground up venison. I've use it in meatloaf, spaghetti, chili and mixed it half-and-half with ground beef and fried it up in patties for hamburgers. It worked well in all of these but I am an experimenter at heart. In my ramblings, I have acquired a sausage stuffer. The other day I got to thinking that it might be good to stuff some of that deer meat into a casing and smoke it. I did a google search and came up with www.sausagemaker.com. Not only did they have the casings, they had kits that included spices and a how to video. I ordered the sampler pak with seasonings for salami, pepperoni, kielbasa, summer sausage and trial bologna. So far I have only made the salami, but I am impressed. I used mostly venison with a little ground beef and ground pork. I followed the instructions on the tape and voila, I made some salami that I would say is better than what I can buy in the store locally. If you have access to some ground venison and like salami, I suggest you give it a try.

No comments: