Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Victor Cagle was a Performance Artist

When I was growing up, my maternal grandparents had a man that stayed with them named Victor Cagle. Victor was probably 50 years old and had the mental capacity of a 6-year-old. My grandfather was a farmer and there was always farm work going on. The entire family participated, as did Victor. When Victor was working, he was always singing. None of the songs had much melody and the lyrics did not rhyme. Every tune contained the phrase “honey baby" at least once.

When I was a teenager, we would occasionally hear a song on the car radio or TV and my father would comment that it sounded like something written by Victor Cagle. I never thought much about it, but recently I have been listening to some podcasts that involve “performance artists. After hearing a few, I have come to realize that what Victor was doing was performance art. I guess Victor was born 60 years too soon. If he were alive today he would probably have his own podcast.

No comments: