Monday, May 22, 2006

People don't say what they mean.

I was listening to a radio talk show the other day and a guy called in and said "I could care less" about some topic of discussion. The host and guest corrected him. What he should say is "I could not care less" to indicate his lack of interest. Saying he could care less indicates that he does have some small concern.

I was out doing the Chattanooga to Knoxville leg of the Hwy 11 Yard Sale this past Saturday. On at least two occasions I came across signs that said "Yard sale inside." What?? Yard Sale Inside? Sale inside maybe, but yard sale inside?

Another place I saw a sign, professional not home made, advertising the "Mothers March for Ovarian Cancer." I don't think so. Mothers March Against Ovarian Cancer or maybe Mothers March for Ovarian Cancer Research, or even Mothers March for Ovarian Cancer Cure. But certainly not Mothers March for Ovarian Cancer.

No wonder there is so much misunderstanding in the world. People don't say what they mean.

No comments: