Friday, September 01, 2006

Quiet Hysteria

While I was drinking my coffee this morning I was thinking about the plans someone told me their company had developed to deal with a pandemic. Then I thought about the uproar made this week about the tropical storm Ernesto. After that I recalled the national over reaction regarding the so called binary bomb terrorist plan in England which apparently turned out to be about as valid as John Mark Karr's murder confession. Why did I think of all of these things together? I thought of them together because they all fall into what I see as our current national mindset. Quiet hysteria. This is not the running, screaming, crying type of hysteria. No, this is an inner hysteria. Outwardly people seem calm but in side, they are hysterical. They hear of some real or perceived threat and they go nuts. What can we do about it? Well in the old movies, the treatment for hysteria was a hard slap across the face. Usually followed by a 'thanks, I needed that' for the slapee. But how do you slap the face of an entire nation?

I'm not sure that you can slap the face of an entire nation but with real estate sales beginning to sag and the interest yield curve inverted, the economy may have its arm drawn back for a swipe. Can you say recession?

No comments: