Friday, September 29, 2006

What Would Jesus Say About Torture?

I know a lot of people who are Christians and a great many more who claim to be Christians. Some of them seem to approve of torture. Richard Land says that
'an overwhelming majority of Baptists still support President Bush and his handling of the Iraq war.' Since Mr. Bush says that torture is necessary to fight the war on terrorism and seems to have convinced the congress to pass legislation allowing torture, I have to ask myself what would Jesus say about torture? I certainly don’t clam to be a biblical scholar, but I did find one verse that seems right on target. It is Luke 6:31 (And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.) When I was growing up, the local Coca-Cola bottler gave out rulers with that verse simplified so a fifth grader could understand it. The ruler was imprinted with “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I think that might just be what Jesus’ answer would be if he were asked about torture. To bad that our ‘rulers’ today don’t have that rule imprinted on them.

No comments: