Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Price Controls

Earlier this week I read an article, by Gary North I think but I can't locate it now, that laid out an interesting senario regarding our current national indebtedness and how it may be handled. As you have probably figured out, we as a nation owe more money than we will ever be able to pay under current monetary conditions. Many people feel, and I agree, that the government is gonna ramp up the printing presses and print our way out of debt. This unrestrained printing of money leads to hyperinflation as happened in Germany between the world wars. In the article I read, the author suggested that when prices start shooting up, the government will institute price controls. Of course the price controls will lead to shortages as they always do. Then the government will blame the shortages on hoarders as they always do. I remember reading several years ago that the president had signed an executive order authorizing FEMA to confiscate and redistribute personal property, including food stuffs, in time of emergency. I suppose that means that stock piling emergency food, for the time of shortage, is a waste of time. Probably better to get yourself a rifle or shotgun, some extra ammunition and learn to enjoy squrriel or rabbit. If you live in the city you might consider acquiring a taste for boiled pigeon and dumplings, if you think you can get the flour and shortning for the dumplings. Kind of reminds me of a saying quoted by my eighth grade math teacher, Al Head. "If we had some ham, we would have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs."

No comments: