Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Does NASCAR thinks its the NCAA

Tonight I was reading the news online and I came across this article. I don't follow NASCAR and I don't have the slightest idea what is going on with these crew chiefs and drivers but when I read where NASCAR Chairman Brian France had said "It's obvious that we've ramped up our penalties, and we're going to get people's attention and slow this down," I was immediately reminded of the NCAA. As I have said before, I think the NCAA is an organization that has outlived it usefulness. Instead of regulating college athletics, it has become an organization that appears to think that college athletics exists to give it a reason for being. Is NASCAR headed in the same direction?

Does NASCAR have a problem with rules being broken, or is the problem that NASCAR just has too many rules? It has been my experience that all organizations, governing bodies, and bureaucracies that exercise control over others continue to become increasingly restrictive and their rules escalate in complexity until they destroy the very entity they were set up to regulate. Is that what is happening here with NASCAR? I don't know but knowing what I do about such organizations, I would bet that it is.

No comments: