Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Bible isn't a Screen Play

Often I get to wondering what is going on with the folks in DC. This is especially true of the President and the Vice-President. Much of what they do, particularly in the middle east, just does not make sense. Last week I read an article that said that they (Bush and Cheney) act as they do because they are Dispensationalists and they are "acting" out their parts in history as they see them. Now I am not too knowledgeable about religious things so I went and looked up Dispensationalist and Dispensationalism. I've read about it, I can't say that I understand it, but at least I have a better understanding than I did.

My daddy always told me that his daddy told him, don't make fun of anybody else's religion, it might just be better than yours. Therefore, I am not gonna pass judgement on what Dispensationalists think. And I am not going to accuse Mr Bush and Mr Cheney of being Dispensationalist. I will say this. The bible makes it pretty plain in a couple of places, [In Matt 24:36, 42, 44 , "No one knows about the day and hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father . . . because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him," and Acts 1:7, "It is not for you to know the dates or times which the Father has set by his own authority."] that no one knows when the end times will be. That would seem to indicate that no one should be "acting" out their end time roles. In fact it would seem to me that if you are sure that it is the end times, then it is not. Also, since the bible is not a screen play, a little less "acting" and a lot more living seems to be in order.

No comments: