Thursday, April 06, 2006

Most of My Mail is From Credit Card Companies

Or at least it seems that way. Every day my mailbox is full of new credit card offers. Listen up credit card companies, I've already got my quota. And what is the deal with the change of terms letters? Most of the mail that I get that isn't an offer for a new credit card is a letter from an existing credit card provider saying that attached is important information about changes to my user agreement. Warning me to read it carefully and file it away with my important papers. Bullshit. What is attached is a new 7-page user agreement. I am sure that there were some changes made between it and the old agreement but who knows what they are? Who has the time or the old agreement to do the comparison? What difference does it make anyway? Am I gonna take them to court if they have changed something I don't like?

It's not just snail mail either. Yesterday I got an email from the company that issued the MasterCard that I actually use advising me that my MasterCard was being upgraded. I looked that email over pretty carefully and the best I could determine the only change was a different account number. How is that an upgrade?

I had a co-worker one time that canceled his membership in the NRA because they kept sending him unsolicited mail. I've thought about canceling all my credit cards so I won't get those annoying change of user agreement letters. That probably would not help. I suspect that those companies I canceled with would start sending me applications to get one of their cards so the amount of credit card mail would stay the same.

No comments: