Saturday, April 08, 2006

Light at the end of the tunnel

Frequently I despair at the direction that I think this country is taking and then I read an article like this and I realize that some good things are happening. Now that Nebraska has passed a Right-To-Carry law, there are only two states, Illinois and Wisconsin, which do not recognize the right of an individual to carry firearms for self-protection. This is important. Not just from the standpoint of citizens being able to protect themselves but also for what it means to us as a free society. Assuming the various state legislatures represent the will of the people, that means that a majority of individuals in 48 of the 50 states recognize that carrying a firearm can be of value in protecting themselves. People who think like that also are most certainly aware that an armed society is a free society. Not all of the criminals are breaking and entering or doing muggings. I have read that during WWII the Japanese who were in charge of planning an invasion of the US said that it even if they managed a military victory it would be an untenable occupation because the citizens of the US had too many firearms. Thank God the majority of our citizens seem to still realize how important that is. Others can have their Homeland Security if they choose, I'll rely on my Home Security AKA Remington 870 12 Ga. pump.

No comments: