Sunday, December 31, 2006

Jubilant January First

I woke up this morning and realized that I had been guilty of a insensitive faux pax in years past. I have been one of those brutes that went around on January 1st telling folks "Happy New Year". In fact, I have occasionally stayed up until midnight on December 31 just to be able to say "Happy New Year" as soon as possible. Well that was the old ignorant me. Not any more. You see we are now in a global economy and one of our chief trading partners is China. Ever heard of the chinese new year? In case you had not noticed, it does not fall on January 1st. And what about our Jewish friends? I believe the Jewish new year was back in September of 2006. Nope, running around shouting "Happy New Year" just has too much potential to offend our friends and associates.

Not to be outdone, I logged on and checked an online thesaurus. There are a lot of synonyms for happy, but the one that caught my eye was "jubilant." So if you see me in the street tomorrow, don't expect to hear "Happy New Year." What you are gonna get is the hopefully nonoffensive "Jubilant January First" instead. For all of you that are not going to see me tonight or tomorrow have a "Jubilant January First and a Prosperous Subsequent 365 days."

No comments: