Monday, December 04, 2006

Is This What We Have Become?

When I was young and growing up, often I would hear grownups or 'older' people bemoaning the trends in this country. They would speak of how certain things had deteriorated. I always swore that I would not become like those 'old folks.' I would look for the good in changes. Throughout my life I have tried to always do just that.

Nevertheless, there are things happening in our society today that make me ask myself, 'is this what we have become?' This morning I read an article about one guy stealing another guy's playstation. I found this article very disturbing. First of all, it troubles me significantly that video games have reached a point in our society where someone thinks they are worth standing in line for 3 days just to buy one. Second it is troubling that someone else thinks that a video game is worth stealing. I suppose that is a matter of personal taste. Equally lamentable is the fact that the thieves have to attack someone instead of just slipping the game out of a store somewhere. Shop lifting is bad, but assault is worse. But the ultimate tragedy in all this is that somewhere, someone thinks a SWAT team is needed to break down a door to a dorm room and shoot some kid to death to recover a stolen video game.

I certainly don't condone stealing, I have been a victim of that myself. I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone that would do violence to another human being for a crappy video game console that will be obsolete in 6 months. But where in God's name does the idea that a SWAT team is needed in a situation like this come from? What's next, snippers on roof tops to deal with jay walkers?

No comments: