Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Mini Coopers

About the time I was graduating from High School and starting to college, the SCCA was still having races on city streets. Not too long after that, they moved onto offroad courses. I never knew why, I heard it had to do with insurance considerations. My family attended one of the last city street races down in Montgomery. It was run on streets located near the western bypass.

My father and I really enjoyed it, not sure how my sister and mother felt about it. One of the memorable sites from that race was that of the little Minis taking the corner located near where we sat. At that time, around the mid '60s, front wheel drive cars just did not exist in central Alabama. To watch the little Minis speeding through that corner with their left rear wheels hiking in the air as they made the apex of the turn was fascinating. Over the years, I have owned my share of British cars, mostly MGBs, but never a Mini. When BMW revived the Mini, I have to admit I felt a little tingle, but I was not moved enough to purchase one. Last week, I saw a 1967 Mini on the Atlanta Craiglist. I was really tempted but I currently have my quota of vehicles and I think my next vehicle I trade for will definitely be diesel powered, but my heart still skips a beat when I see a Mini on the street.

No comments: