Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fried Catfish Nuggets

Last night for supper we had fried catfish nuggets. Earlier in the day I had gone to the store to get some paper towels and a few other items. When I went by the meat counter, I noticed that they had a package of catfish nuggets. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't. For those of you who don't know what a catfish nuggets is, basically it is a random piece of catfish left over from when the fish was dressed. Some of these were no bigger than your thumb. Some were well over 100 grams or around 4 ounces.

Now I have been catching, cleaning, cooking and eating fish all my life, but I decided to do a little checking on the internet to see if I could pick up any tips. Combining my own experience with what I found on the internet, I came up with the following.

I made up a mixture of about 2 parts yellow corn meal to 1 part bisquick. To that I added some salt, pepper and magic dust, which is a rub made from a recipe I found on the internet last year. I made up enough of this coating mixture to throughly coat the nuggets I had. I put the coating mix and the nuggets in a ziploc bag, shook it good and placed it in the refrigerator. When it got time to cook the nuggets, I put about 1 qt of cooking oil in a 4 qt pan, heated it to 350 degrees F and dropped in a few nuggets. It took them about 4 minutes to reach a golden brown. I cooked a few at a time so as not to cool the cooking oil down too much. We ate them with french fries and slaw and if I do say so myself, they were pretty good.

No comments: