Thursday, September 09, 2010

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure

I could not remember whether or not I had written about this before so I did a search of this blog and did not come up with anything so...

I don't know about you but during my life time, I have been tormented by leaks. The house at Pentonville has a roof leak in one of the back bedrooms that defies all attempts at repair. My folks house at Slickhill had its share of leaks and I have had them here and also in the GMC motorhome that I used to own. I've caulked, tarred, siliconed and who know what all else with limited success.

When I bought my current truck camper, the guy that I got it from said that one of the things he did every year was to recaulk the seams. I got some 3M 5200 and used it on three or four places and it worked great but I still had one leak on the dinette seat that I could not stop. Water was seeping in where it attached to the wall. I worked and worked with it to no avail. I finally decided that the window was to blame. I resealed around the gasket with black silicone and it helped but I still had a leak. Then one day I was reading on one of the RV forums and someone mentioned Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. At first I though it was some kind of joke but someone else responded that they too had used it to stop a troublesome leak. I did some googling and found that it did exist. It is an english product that was originally developed to seal hairline cracks in sailboats. It is pricey at $19.00 for 8 ounces, but I had spent a lot more than that in total with marginal results so I ordered a bottle.

It smells like latex paint and looks like skim milk. You pour it on in a fine bead. In the places where it disappears capillary action has drawn it in to the leak. You just keep applying it every 30 minutes of so until none is drawn in. I did that on my camper window and it worked like a charm. It has been several months and numerous hard rains since I first used it and the camper has not leaked a drop. This stuff is great and I don't intend to ever be without a bottle of it again. If you have a troublesome leak and everything else has failed, try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It sure worked for me.

No comments: