Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tax Cuts

I never saw a tax cut I did not like. I don't care it if only affects the richest 1 percent of the population, I'm for it. Why? Because any tax dollar that is not collected is a tax dollar that some shithead bureaucrat can't use to make life worse for us citizens. Every time I make a statement like that I always encounter someone who says something like, "oh, we have to collect taxes so we can have roads, schools, health care, head start , medicare, an army, navy, police, firemen, etc, etc, etc."

I for one think that very little of what the government does could not be done better by someone else, but I'll play the silly game. Ok, we got to have some tax money for a few pet projects. Why not use the approach of the former president of the company where I worked. The story goes that he was telling some of his subordinates that there had to be a reduction of personnel. They were pissing and moaning about how they could not do the job with less people and service would be affected. He is supposed to have said, ok, lay off people until the lights blink (it was an electrical utility) and then hire that last person you laid off back.

Why don't we do that with taxes. Start reducing and keep reducing until something important suffers. I don't mean until we have to cut funding for the arts so some guy can't get his funds to make a statue covered in urine. I mean cut taxes and spending until something really important is affected, then raise them back enough to cover that project.

And, don't let the bureaucrats do the cutting. They always pick out things like parks, libraries, other stuff that people actually get some good out of and close them to increase the pain level and make people want to put things back like they were. No, put together a citizens oversight committee and let them determine what government programs to de-fund and the order for cutting them off. One other stipulation, no one that is receiving money from the government could serve on the committee.

No comments: