Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Re: Word Verification

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Word Verification sux. I am sure you all know what I am talking about. For those few that may have been spared it so far, word verification is a small box with some barely legible characters beside it. To proceed in a selected activity you have to type the characters in the box. It is supposed to stop automated responses and assure that actual people are using the affected web pages. I don't know how good a job it does at eliminating bots but I can assure that it is excellent at frustrating 59 year old men.

Many word verifications, like the one on the Atlanta Braves ticket ordering page, are nearly impossible to read. Others, like the one that Blogger uses, can be read alright, but don't work properly. If you move back and forth between the composition screen and the preview screen in Blogger, chances are the little characters that you put in the word verification box won't work.

Well to quote Popeye, I've stands all I can stands, I can't stands no more. So, I've decided to fight back. Starting today, when I am presented with a word verification box, if I can't read the characters, or if there are too many or if I just don't like where my fingers have to go on the keyboard to type them, I just hit enter instead. I don't know how this is gonna work on all pages but on blogger it results in a new set of characters. I keep doing that until I get something that I don't mind typing, preferably 5 characters of less. So far on this screen I have passed over zmvskty, ymcmcng, and settled for armfk.

No comments: