Friday, November 10, 2006

Mr Fetner Was Wrong

I used to work with a man named Fetner. He was much older than the rest of us so we all called him Mr Fetner. Mr Fetner was a WWII vet and about the same age as my father. He was with the OSS during the war and used to tell some interesting stories although he did not seem to enjoy taking about the war. Mostly he wanted to talk politics, Republican politics. Periodically, he would come by my cubicle and strike up a conversation that ultimately lead to the discussion of politics. Whenever there was an election, he would come by and ask if I had gone and "thrown my rocks yet?" If it was a primary election, I would always tell him that I was a Libertarian and in the State of Alabama, the Libertarians don't have a primary. Always, when I said that I was a Libertarian, he would say "we have to have traffic lights." Apparently, Mr Fetner did not differentiate between libertarians and anarchist. This morning I came across this article. It seems that the northern Dutch town of Drachten is proving Mr Fetner wrong.

Mr Fetner passed away several years ago from cancer. It was very sad and we all miss him, but at least he was spared the results of the recent election and finding out that we really don't need traffic lights.

No comments: