Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Copyright Crazy

To even the casual observer it is becoming obvious that we are a society that is obsessed with copyrights. Last week I saw a headline that said that Andy Griffith had sued Andy Griffith. Turns out some politician in Wisconsin was running for sheriff and had changed his name to Andy Griffith to help his chances. It did not work, he lost anyway, but the real Andy Griffith is suing him. Why? No real harm was done was it? Well it may have been copyright infringment. The real Andy's attorney said if you don't protect copyrights, you lose them.

Now, this morning, I read this. If that don't take the hair off the hog, I don't know what does! I loved the Keith Dunnavant quote - “This lawsuit is the equivalent of the Catholic Church suing Michelangelo for painting the Sistine Chapel,” He's right.

Those of you who know me know that I have orange and blue blood and don't usually concern myself with things that affect the "Bama Nation", but this is an obsurdity. It is a perfect example of the copyright obsession that is permeating this country. I say it is time that we put the quieteous to all this copyright mania. Relegate copyright back to the funny little c with a circle around it and not much else.

No comments: