Sunday, November 08, 2009

Instant Replay

I watch a little Major League Baseball and College Football on TV and listen to a lot of both of them on the radio. I grew up listening to Auburn Football on the radio back when the NCAA or someone limited the number of games a team could appear on TV. Back then I was too young and too poor to go to all the games and the only other option for keeping up with the Tigers was radio. I never was a big MLB fan. I watched some KC Royals games when Bo Jackson played for them but not much else. When I met Linda, she got me hooked on the Atlanta Braves so now I enjoy watching them, but I can still equally enjoy listening to them on the radio. Many folks don't understand how I could enjoy and maybe even prefer radio to TV, but some folks don't understand how I can "stand" those old black and white movies either. When challenged about liking sports on the radio I simply answer that it is a "theater of the mind" thing and move on. I'm telling you this so you will realize that my perspective on TV sports is probably different from yours and maybe from most folks.

So here is my take on Instant Replay. "It sucks, do away with it." The little good that it does when it occasionally gives the officials a chance to "lick the calf over" is more than off set by the problem of a break in the flow of the game. I'm speaking here of football. Games were much more exciting when the teams ran a play and if intervention by the officials was necessary, the call was made, and everyone moved on. Sure a coach or player might voice their disagreement and "lobby" for further consideration later on, but the current play was over and done with. The ruling on the field always stood. Now, with the review process, the flow of the game is disrupted, the veracity of the officiating is immediately called into question and thousands of folks wait while some replay official does his best to try to see what really happened. It gives a herky jerky tone to the games that they did not have in the days before instant review. College football was much better without the Instant Replay and without overtime tie breaking, but don't let me get started on that horror story.

No comments: