Friday, October 19, 2007

The Greatest Generation?

I am a baby boomer, born July 1947. Of course that means that my parents were part of what is called the greatest generation. Every time I hear that title, I turn over in my mind what it means. They survived the great depression, they won WWII, they put a man on the moon. I have to admit that those are great accomplishments. Maybe even great enough to qualify for the title of great generation, but greatest? Greatest implies best ever and to be the best ever, you almost think that they would have few faults and no resounding failures. Well they did not mess up too often, but the one uh oh that comes to mind is a big one. They brought into the world and raised the baby boomers. For that, I am eternally grateful, but lets face it, the fruit of their efforts is pretty pitiful. Sure they did fine on quantity, but look around you, the quality is lacking. The boomers are now running the country and we stink. Nope, the greatest generation came close, but I fear that their child rearing efforts will relegate them to being a great generation instead of the greatest generation.

No comments: