Tuesday, May 08, 2007

John McCain's Doppleganger

Living in North Shelby county Alabama, I get my share of Republican email. Seems that the Republicans think that since I live in the neocon republic, I must be Republican. Recently I have been getting quite a bit of mail from John McCain's campaign. Now I realize that John McCain is a war hero, is an elder politician which should bring with it some insight, and seems to be an ok guy as witnessed by his appearance on the Daily Show. Fortunately, there is a much better Republican in the race, Ron Paul, who has my support. But even if there were no other Republicans in the race, I just could not bring myself to vote for John McCain.

The reason may sound silly to you, but it is because of his doppleganger. For years I worked with a guy named Jerry Thomley. During my employment, he was a high level manager and later and executive with the company where I worked. Now don't get me wrong, Jerry Thomley was an alright guy. Pleasant enough, always friendly, at least to your face. I didn't even hold it against him that he was an attorney. But for some reason, he and I always seemed to be on the opposite side of every issue. What he saw as being in his best interest was always something that was a detriment to mine. Working in a circumstance like that for over 30 years can create a lot of baggage and unfortunately for John McCain, all those suitcases come crashing down everytime I see his face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Pentonville said...

You are welcome. It has been a while since I wrote this so I had to go back and re-read it. Just out of curiosity, are you thanking me for what I said about Ron Paul, John McCain, Jerry Thomley or something else that I've overlooked?