Sunday, July 26, 2009

Graduated From Auburn University with the Lowest Grade Point Ever

During most of my high school years, it was my intent upon graduation to go to Auburn University and study engineering. Sometime in my senior year of high school, I decided to go my first two years to Alex City State Junior College instead. I don't remember the exact details of that decision but I think it had to do with living at home for two more years which would definitely be cheaper. Anyway, I did go to ACJC for two years and during that time, I burned up virtually all of my electives. When I got to Auburn as a Junior, there was not much left except engineering courses. There were a few math and physics courses, but they offered no respite from the grueling engineering curriculum. Enough, excuses. Bottom line is I failed early and I failed often. I had a pretty good gpa at ACJC, but my Auburn gpa stunk.

Back then Auburn was on a 3 point system. The minimum grade point average required for graduation was 1.0. My Auburn gpa entering my last quarter was 0.98. If you calculated my overall gpa for college it was about 1.40. Problem was that Auburn at that time counted all your transfer work at 1.0 until after you graduated, so my overall grade point pregraduation was about 0.99. On the appointed day, I went to the registrar's office to petition for graduation at the end of the quarter. The lady looked at my transcript, looked at my current grades and said you don't have a 1.0 overall. I said yes mam, does that mean I am not gonna graduate? She said "not necessarily." You have a 1.40 with your transfer work. I said yes mam, does that mean I am gonna graduate? She said "not necessarily." You see you don't get full credit for your transfer work until after you have graduated. I said yes mam, does that mean I am not gonna graduate? She said "not necessarily." I think there were two or three more exchanges to which she replied "not necessarily" but time has erased them from my memory. Or maybe I can't remember them because they say you can't remember pain. Anyway, I finally got the courage and asked "Mam, am I gonna graduate?" Her response was "I think so."

I held my breath up to graduation day. I stood as still as possible in line on graduation day so as not to call any attention to myself. Finally my moment came, I crossed the stage, took the diploma and shook someones hand and the deal was done. I had a 1.40, but a few seconds earlier I had a 0.99 so to this day, I believe that I graduated from Auburn University with the lowest grade point ever.

No comments: