Monday, July 06, 2009

Canadian Corned Beef Hash?

Last summer I drove up to Alaska. I drove because I had always wanted to drive the AlCan and anyway I am not a big fan of flying. We picked up Linda in Anchorage but for most of the way up and all the way back it was just me and the dogs. My camper has a refrigerator but I don't use it unless I am parked. Driving to Alaska and back there is a lot more non parking than there is parking. Since the refrigerator was not on that much, we relied a lot on non perishable foods. The dogs of course had their dry dog food but they both, and Dixie especially, like to have a little something mixed in with it for variety.

One of the things that all three of us like is corned beef hash. At home, I will often open up a can in the morning and heat up some of it to eat with my eggs. I mix a couple of tablespoons in with the dogs dry food. They love it. My camper is small so I try not to load it down with a lot of things that I can get along the way. When I left Pelham last year, I think I had 2 or 3 cans of corned beef hash loaded in the camper. On the first leg of the trip, Regan and Gantt were with us and we didn't eat any of the corned beef hash. We dropped Regan and Gantt off in Grapevine and headed up through the heartland to Montana and crossed over into Canada. We were well into Alberta before we consumed the last of our corned beef hash. At my next grocery stop I checked but did not see any corned beef hash in that store. I continued looking for it through northern British Columbia and all of the Yukon. I didn't find any more corned beef hash until I got to Alaska.

Do Canadian's eat corned beef hash? I know they have corned beef, I saw it in the stores. They also have potatoes. Do they just cut out the middle man and prepare their own at home? If you know the facts on this, let me know. If you are a Canadian and haven't tried corned beef hash, give it a try. If you can't find it, and want to try it, be on the lookout for a gray dodge pickup with a white camper and Alabama plates. The next time I pass through I intend to have a stock of it.

No comments: