Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Spam Myself

Let me begin by saying that really, I don't approve of using the word Spam as a verb. I grew up occasionally eating, and always liking Spam. Sometimes my mother would slice it into thin slices and fry it until it had a light crust on either side. It was served with whatever vegetables we might be having. At other times, we would open a can and just make sandwiches with bread, mustard and maybe mayonnaise. To me it is an unfortunate twist of the computer age that good ole Spam has become the name for junk email. However, I alway heard that "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", so herein, little 's' spam refers to junk email.

When I say that I spam myself, I am specifically referring to Yahoo's bulk mail folder. I've had a Yahoo web mail account for years. In fact, I am sure I had it prior to opening my eBay account and I did that in 1997. I like Yahoo and I do appreciate the fact that their email filters send a lot of stuff that I am not interested in to the bulk email folder, but occasionally I am puzzled. Like day before yesterday, I sent an email and included a cc: to myself. The copy did not show up. Later on when I went to empty the bulk mail folder, I did a quick scan and sure enough, there was my cc: to myself. I guess I spamed myself?

Its kind of hard for me to figure how yahoo thinks that anything I send to myself is spam. I know about spoofing and I routinely get emails with my email address as the sender when I did not send them, but yahoo has authentication and it would seem that they would know a true khmiller email from a spoof. Maybe email filters work like humans, they sort and sort and sift and sift and every so often they just get fed up and say to hell with it and dump everything into the bulk mail folder. I doubt that is the case, but as we do with animals and other things, we humans love to ascribe our humanness to non-humans, even computers.

No comments: