Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Miller's Garage Story

My daughter, who is a sales rep for a pharmaceutical company, sent me a link today to a story about some supply problems her company is having. For some reason, it reminded me of something that happened one time at my father's shop. From 1959 until 1984, my father ran an automobile repair shop in central Alabama. It was appropriately named Miller's Garage. His shop was known for two things, good repairs at a reasonable price, and salty language. One day a guy, who was a part time paying most time credit customer, came by and told my dad he needed some brake shoes for his car. He wanted to know if dad had any in stock. My dad said he did. The guy asked how much are they? 25 dollars was my dad's reply. 25 dollars, whew, that is too much, McClure sells them for 22 dollars. To that my dad, said, OK got get them from McClure. The guy said that he had gone to McClure's first but they were out of them. My dad looked at him and said, Hell, if I was out of them, I could sell them for 22 dollars too!

No comments: