Thursday, September 30, 2004

Linda and Ken's Big Adventure

Linda's close friends, Jan and Tony, live in Gulf Breeze, FL. Hurricane Ivan did unbelieveable damage to their neighborhood. Tuesday morning, Linda and I took off south to take the GMC motorhome down for them to use while their home was being repaired. We were pulling the little blue Nissan as a towed. The trip went exceptionally well until we got on Hwy 113 between I-65 and Flomaton. Going up a hill, the GMC sort of hesitated and then started to slow down like it was not getting fuel. I patted the gas and it picked back up but then slowed down again. Finally it picked back up and started to run OK. We made it over to Hwy 31 and stopped to turn right. Everything was still ok. We proceeded down through Flomaton and got to where 29 and 113 turn left and 31 proceeds on to Atmore. We were sitting in the right side left turn lane (there are 2). The engine died. I tried and tried to crank it to no avail. A city policeman came and directed traffic while I attempted to set the GMC started. No luck. I went over to a little convienece market and got some starting fluid and fuel tank antifreeze (thought I might have picked up water when I bought fuel.) Still no luck. Suddenly, a tow truck appeared. I suppose the policeman had called him. He tied a chain to the front of the GMC and towed us do to the High School parking lot, about 300 yards south of the intersection.

I have Good Sam's Roadside Assistance, so I called them. They could not locate a tow vehicle in the area on Tuesday due to the storm disruption, but were able to locate a company called Wooten Tire and Repair Service who dispatched a mechanic. He came, diagnosed what he thought might be the problem and returned yesterday morning (Wednesday) and made the repairs. We were back on the road to Gulf Breeze around mid-day. We got down to Jan and Tony's, got the GMC hooked up to electricity and made the trip back here last night. Got in around 11:00 PM.

No comments: