Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Beater With A Heater

Back in 2004 I went up to Pittsburg (PA not TN) and bought a 1979 Mercedes 300D. I got it cheap because it was what they call up there "a beater". I didn't want a real nice car because I was going to experiment with running cooking oil in it and I didn't want to spend big bucks on something I might screw up. Until my trip up north, I don't recall ever hearing the expression beater.

Best I could tell, a beater is a cheap car that is used as transportation in the winter time when there is salt on the roads. Down here, we have cheap cars but the folks that have them drive them year round.

Back in the summer of 2008 I made a trip to Alaska. I feel in love with the place and have been working on a way to get back up there ever since. Ultimately, I would like to relocate there for at least part of the year. In my spare time I read forums that discuss life in Alaska. Many of them have a mix of people like me that are wannabes and resident Alaskans. This past week I read a thread and someone mentioned having a "beater with a heater". Just for the hell of it, I Googled "beater with a heater 'site:craigslist.org'" and found that it is not just an Alaskan expression. In fact one of the ads was for Gulfport. Must have been written by a relocated yankee. From the number of ads nationwide, beaters with heaters must be fairly popular. Considering that my yard in full of what could be loosely classifed as beaters, I think maybe I need to get an Automobile Dealers License and open up Beater Motor Company LLC. Who knows, if it was profitable enough, it might help me finance my move to Alaska.

No comments: