Monday, August 13, 2007

Two for a Nickel, Three for a Dime

Back in the mid 1960's, country grocery stores had what we called a nickel pack of crackers. It was three or maybe four double saltines in a small box or plastic wrap. It contained about what one person would eat with a small chunk of hoop cheese, a can of sardines, potted meat or vienna sausage. They usually sold for 5 cents, hence the name nickel pack of crackers. One Sunday afternoon, my folks sent me to a little store not far from our house to pick up something, what it was I don't remember. What I do remember is that when I went to pay for my items, there was a produce basket sitting in front of the counter. It was full of nickel packs of crackers. On the side of the basket was a cardboard sign with the following written in black ink: "2 for 5 cents, 3 for 10 cents." When I got home, I told my parents about it and they told me that I had been mistaken, but I knew better. I have never forgotten that sign.

Last week while I was on the WLYS, I came upon a sale in northern Kentucky. They had several boxes of new white vinyl binders. The top box was open. It had a sign, in black ink, that said 10 cents each, $2.00 per box. I picked up a box, walked over to the man that was seated under a canopy and said "$2.00 a box?" He said yes and I handed him $2.00. I figured there must be 2 dozen binders in the box. This morning I was getting some things out of the back of my pickup. The box of binders was still in there. On the end of the box it had some writing and the number 18. I opened the box and counted, sure enough there were 18 binders in it. Looks like I got the "3 for a dime" deal.

No comments: