Monday, July 10, 2006

Political Continuity Is Counter Productive

I've thought a lot about this, especially lately. I believe that having the same people in the same public offices year after year is hurting this country. I know that there has been a lot of talk of term limits, but nothing ever seems to happen to change the status quo. I realize that at most levels of government, the people holding the offices are career politicians. I also realize that most people don't like to change careers. How many doctors have you seen give up a medical practice to go to law school? So, we can figure that these folks that are in public office are gonna stay there for life. If that is the case, how can we mitigate the damage they do?

My answer is (1) to have all public office holders run for re-election every other year and (2) make it illegal for any office holder to have the same office more than once. Simple enough, two year terms, no succession. In a perfect world, I would rather see citizen office holders who give up a couple of years of their life to serve on the water board, school board, in congress or as president, but that is not gonna happen. The next best thing is to have all these politicos rotating between jobs every two years. They will do a lot less damage that way and they still will be able to live out their lives swilling at the public trough.

No comments: