Saturday, July 12, 2014

Did You Vote?

I used to work with an old man from Gardendale that never failed to come by my cubicle on election day and ask , did you vote? If it was a primary election I would tell him no. He would  tell me that I needed to go vote and I would explain to him that I did not vote in primary elections because I was neither a democrat nor a republican. He would then ask me, what are you? After the first time he should have known the answer so he was either very forgetful, which I doubt, or was just being an asshole. Anyway, at the time I considered myself to be a libertarian and would tell him so. He would always bristle up and say, we have to have traffic lights. I suppose that was his way of saying that libertarian is just another name for anarchist.

I have been retired a long time and I am fairly certain that the old man has made his way to the beulahland, which I suspect has no traffic lights, but in the intervening time I have learned that we in fact do not have to have traffic lights. Roundabouts work just as well and  have been shown to be safer.

No comments: