Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Blueberries Were Late This Year

Back when my parents were still alive, they planted several blueberry bushes around their home in Coosa County. Mama and Daddy are gone, but their blueberry bushes continue to bear fruit. Every year in late June and early July, the berries start to ripen. Some years there is a big crop, some years not so many. Regardless of the crop size, for every year since the bushes originally started bearing, the berries have always seemed to ripen on the same schedule. First the big bush up near the house by the chinaberry would start to ripen. Then the bushes at the edge of the front yard and by the garage and finally the ones in the back near the green house. Most years by my birthday on July 11th they were about gone. As soon as the last of the crop ripens, the song birds, crows and turkeys move in and pretty well clean the bushes up.

Yesterday, July 16th I went down there with my daughter and my oldest grandson to pick berries. There were still plenty of ripe berries and a few pink ones. From the looks of it, there will be some berries for at least another week. It seems to me that the entire season has shifted forward this year by 10 to 14 days. Maybe not, maybe I am just getting old and have started remembering things differently but my sister insists that all the berries were gone last year by the weekend following the 4th. Maybe she is getting old too.

No comments: