Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Now there are two places where I never want to go.

I have always said there is one place that I absolutely never want to go, prison. The horror stories that come out of prisons tell me that anything, up to and including being dead would be better than being in prison. Now there are two places I never want to go. The second one is a relief shelter run by the government.

Truthfully speaking, I can't say that I was too surprised. I mean there is no activity on earth that the government can't make twice as expensive and only 10% as efficient. But even my low expectations were underwhelmed by what went on in the Convention Center in New Orleans.

I was in college when Camille came through and was working for a public utility when Fredrick hit Mobile. Both were bad storms, Camille especially. There was a lot of distruction but I don't recall there being snafus like Katrina has brought. Of course that was before FEMA. Nothing like a federal agency to gimmick everything up.

No comments: